Ol' Blighty

Trump Ballroom Construction Resumes After Supreme Court Intervention

Chief Justice John Roberts issues temporary order, overturning lower court's halt on the controversial White House project.

A heavy gavel or legal brief on a desk, with blurred construction plans.
Image: Eddie Pollard / AI
Callum Smith
Callum Smith
Construction on Donald Trump's controversial White House ballroom can now resume.
The Supreme Court currently considers an emergency appeal from the Trump administration regarding the project. Chief Justice Roberts' temporary order ensures work continues while the court deliberates the appeal.
A federal appeals court in Washington, D.C., had previously ordered the government to cease construction unless Congress or the Supreme Court intervened. Roberts' order will remain in place until the Supreme Court issues a more durable decision.
The project reportedly includes an underground bunker and a rooftop military complex. The ballroom itself was built using nuclear-blast-resistant materials.
The Trump administration argues the president possesses total authority to renovate federal buildings. They assert the ballroom project is necessary for national security.

A desperately needed National Security structure.

Donald Trump
Donald Trump himself urged the Supreme Court last week to intervene, calling it a “desperately needed National Security structure.” The administration increasingly describes the project as a highly fortified military installation vital to the safety and security of the president.
Solicitor General D. John Sauer claims the completion of the project is "vitally required by national security." The White House states that 65% of the work is completed, with approximately $200 million in private donations already spent or committed.
The East Wing was reportedly demolished to make way for the ballroom. Donald Trump told reporters at the White House on Monday that military officials approached him with plans for the military complex after he announced his intentions to build a ballroom.
He said he was told there is an “opportunity to build deep into the ground and build a military facility to go with the White House — and to go with all of Washington, D.C., which would be so valuable.” However, the National Trust for Historic Preservation argues that Trump lacks unilateral authority for such extensive work.